Whether you believe that the human body is a miracle of existence, a temple that needs regular maintenance or whether you believe it to be the most sophisticated piece of machinery on the planet designed to provide you with efficiency and optimal functioning to achieve your goals, whichever it is, You will agree that to make the most of it, keeping fit, healthy and in the best shape possible should be a person’s priority over most things. Old Age in particular needs to be trodden carefully, where being alert and cautious would serve one well, to live life to the fullest. Here are some medical tests that should be regularly done –
- The problem of Elevated Blood Pressure (Hypertension) troubles one in four individuals worldwide and is projected to affect more than 1.5 billion people by 2025. High Blood Pressure is called the silent killer because it’s symptoms don’t usually show up until quite later in life. Get your Blood Pressure checked once a year.
- Having your colon checked by a doctor for cancerous polyps is called Colonoscopy. After the age of 40, a colonoscopy should be done once every 10 years, more often if there is a history of colorectal cancer in the family. If caught early, colorectal cancer is highly treatable.
- Hearing and Sight tests should be done if you have trouble hearing or seeing. A fourth of people aged 65 to 74 have trouble hearing. Problems like Cataracts and Glaucoma are also common with age and the eyes should, therefore, be tested as frequently as suggested by a specialist.
- One of the leading causes of heart attacks and strokes is Higher Cholesterol (LDL, the bad cholesterol). If you struggle with high levels of LDL, it is time to cut out unhealthy junk from your diet. Some exercise and healthy eating can help combat the problem. If needed, medications can help with the process. Advanced Lipid tests will reveal your levels of LD, HDL (good cholesterol), and total cholesterol.
- Osteoporosis is a condition that makes the bones weak and brittle. Bone density scan can reveal your bone strength and should, therefore, be regularly performed after 60, especially for women. (visit Dexa Scan London to know more)
- Regular Prostrate screening for men (to look for prostate cancer) and breast examination with a mammogram for women, aged 40 or more is very important.
Everyone deserves to feel good, whether young or old and being healthy is necessary for that. As you age, however, the need for more frequent testing increases and this is the time you need to start paying attention to the changes in your body, maintain it with regular physical exercise and healthy eating habits.