Stealing in a shop is also one form of theft and such people are known as shop lifters. People who are involved in such petty thefts do this out of anger, less powerful, loss, not getting the due rights and addiction. People are suffering from a rare mental condition called kleptomania who could not resist the urge to steal. Around seventy percent of shoplifters could not leave the habit of shoplifting even after being arrested. It has been revealed that six out of one thousand Americans above the age of twenty years are suffering from kleptomania.
Everybody gets a free ride in a police car, one who shoplifts. Shoplifting is a major problem around the world these days. Shoplifting affects everybody, including the person shoplifting. Eventually, everybody gets caught. No matter how cautious a person is. The world is watching. No matter who steals or exactly, what they take, the act of theft or robbery has an unfavorable effect on many people says Attorney Miya Griggs. The motives for shoplifting may differ from compulsive to daring compulsive disorder. The results of shoplifting are always the same and on the negative side of the equation. Stealing is such a usual occurrence that every retail location has to compensate for its annual losses.
Shoplifting and minor acts of stealing is treated in the same manner by the judiciary. Employee’s theft is on the rise as per Federal Bureau of Investigation Agency of America. According to the American commerce chamber, more than seventy percent of employees are engaged in misappropriation of funds, manipulating their time cards for their benefit by misleading the company with showing wrong expenditures, taking benefit of others, making personal phone calls on the expense of the company and stealing company’s properties often. Thereby, it is seen that around twenty percent of the company’s revenue is lost owing to employee”s theft which is around fifty three billion dollars annually. Out of this half of them are managers and supervisors. The main motive behind shoplifting is not stealing in cash or kind but also fighting for their rights. Most of the employees disapprove of calling shoplifting as some kind of theft.
- Shoplifting affects the retailer in many ways by reducing inventory, a revenue loss of stolen items and accounting problems, etc. As a result, it elevates the prices of goods because the loss must be passed on to customers by increasing the price of goods in general.
- A person who steals an object is committing a crime. Under normal circumstances, the act should result in the loss of self-esteem and the lowering of the self-worth in his or her own eyes. Embarrassment and mistrust join the scene as the eyes of friends and family members perceive the act says Attorney Miya Griggs. Society, especially those who flaunt their brazen attitude and almost dare the system to try to capture them, frowns on those who break the law.
- Because of the pass along by the manufacturer, the shopper pays higher rates. The stolen goods are no longer on the shelves to be bought by customers, so their decision has been affected. Honest shoppers are now falling into the same category of mistrust as shoplifters because they cannot be differentiated from each other, adding that.
- The store has raised prices to deter shoplifting, which may encourage customers to shop elsewhere to buy similar goods at a cheaper rate. All the real consequences that can see are the time spent on the journey, plus petrol and wear and tear on the car or just an increased volume on the public transit system.
- Shoplifting makes it possible to waste community time attempting to fix the problems around it rather than take social initiatives that would contribute positively to the community says Attorney Miya Griggs. Instead of forced to fight a blight that costs our country over 30 billion dollars annually, the city council meetings, police, and community relations meetings.