Mayur Rele has global experience in managing and evangelizing products in hi-tech for technology, startups, and hyper growth companies. Mayur’s areas of expertise are IT strategy, business development, and cybersecurity. He played a critical role in turning around IT functions, driving key engagements in the cybersecurity space. Mayur Rele held key positions in IT, e-commerce, and technology companies.
The demand for cybersecurity jobs is growing like wildfire and there is no chance this is going to stop in the foreseeable future. Society today has become so dependent on technology and the internet, so much so that it has become an integral part of our lives. With these comes the issue of security and cyberattacks which are only becoming more rampant and more harmful. Hence, cybersecurity jobs are in high demand, and increasing security issues makes it more crucial and highly wanted. If you are considering a career in cybersecurity, you have simply made the right choice. We ask cybersecurity expert Mayur Rele, to shed more light on the career prospect and how to become involved.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 32% growth in hiring for the Cybersecurity role between 2018 and 2028.- far outpacing the average of other organizations. Plus, the demand for cybersecurity experts has increased by 4000. This can be an exciting and rewarding job for anyone that is ready to take up the challenge.
“The problem is there are so many jobs available in this field but the supply of skilled professionals is very low and does not even come close to meeting up the demand. This has made many government organizations, private companies, and educational institutions to train anyone interested in a cybersecurity career,” says Mayur Rele. How do you become a cybersecurity expert? Let’s dig in!
1.Understand the profession
Before diving into this career, it is important to conduct research and understand the fundamentals. Hence, we start with :
Who is a cybersecurity expert?
A cybersecurity expert is one who provides secure network solutions to protect against data breaches, attacks, illegal duplication, theft, and many more. They work for businesses of all sizes and industries to ensure their information systems are secured. They monitor, detect, investigate, analyze, and tackle security issues. Cybersecurity expert plays a huge role in preventing and protecting systems from vulnerabilities, threats, and all forms of cybersecurity risks.
What are the skills required for cybersecurity jobs?
- Possess excellent Problem-Solving Skills and a great eye for detail
- Be technologically savvy with an in-depth understanding of IT, network, security systems across various platforms, and many more.
- Ability to make strong decisions and develop solutions
- Have communication skills in order to communicate with other departments or roles effectively.
- Desire to learn in order to stay up to date with the latest cybersecurity trends, tactics, and tips.
As a cybersecurity expert, what are you required to do?
Generally, the key roles of cybersecurity experts include:
- Implementing built-in security measures at the developmental stages of software systems, and data centers.
- Looking out for vulnerabilities and risks in both hardware and software
- Developing the most secured way to protect the IT system of an organization
- Regularly updating the defensive protocols and systems
- Monitoring and safeguarding all gateways to information
- Removing the vulnerabilities in network or system if/ when there is any
- Regularly updating the system status
Get the right qualifications
To work as a cybersecurity specialist, you are expected to have the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, cybersecurity, and other similar fields.
- Knowledge and experience in operation and maintenance of firewalls network.
“Some organizations might require more qualifications, while some are fine with candidates having just some basic knowledge of the programming languages and cybersecurity,” Mayur Rele says.
Mayur rele says many organizations lookout for people who are already experienced in the field or any related one. This no doubt is what aggravated the low supply of talents. An aspiring cybersecurity specialist can consider internships in any organization. Moreover, one can also take up junior positions in IT firms in order to develop the required skills and gain experience
Never stop learning
Whether its new technology or techniques, there will always be something new in the cybersecurity landscape. Keep reading, improve your cybersecurity knowledge, and get informed on recent developments.