Programming or coding is a creative work form. The best codes out there reflect the intuition and intelligence of its creator and possess the capability of creating something new. Many might differ from this perspective, however. Most of us look at computer programming as a form of instructional logic that has nothing to do with creativity. Well, that’s the universal truth about opinions and perspectives; they tend to vary across demographics. We are not here to refute any opinion but state that, just like other creative domains like architecture & engineering, programming involves using logic, cognition, and creative skills to process information, design software, and develop procedures. Like any most creative endeavors, it aims to alleviate the different challenges of human society.
Whether it is an aspiring programming student looking for programming assignment help or a professional programmer, it is necessary to create code that enables one to achieve their targets in the best possible manner. Only then can one develop applications and offer services that help society in some contributory way.
Without further ado, let us look into the essential skills required to become an excellent professional programmer.
1. Proficiency With Programming
This is the most basic and one of the most vital skills for any professional programmer. If you intend to become an expert coder in any language, you must possess comprehensive knowledge about its features, properties, paradigms, and limitations.
It takes time to learn a language correctly, and it is impossible & illogical to try to grasp every nitty-gritty of a language in a few hours. All programming languages have a learning curve.
As evident from the above, things start steep as beginners need to cope with all the new features, syntax, semantics, libraries, frameworks, and several other language nuances. As their knowledge and experience increases, the curve gradually flattens off with growing expertise.
- To become a successful professional programmer, you must traverse the whole learning curve and learn all there is to know about a language.
- All syntax, semantics, underlying programming concepts & their applications, etc. must be cemented in your brain. And the best way to do so is by writing more and more code.
- Practice coding, discover the features that can help you program better & faster, and gradually build up your skills.
Remember, professional programmers, do not just write codes and build applications. They write clean & concise code, implement best practices, improve the performance of existing codes, and are capable of developing & supporting industry-standard applications.
2. The Ability To Write Clean Code
Neither machines nor humans like to interact with large volumes of convoluted codes. No matter how detailed the objective or vast application scope, it is always possible and essential to write clean code.
Software programming or engineering is not only about learning a language, writing some code, and building some software. Just like every other field, here too, the emphasis is on useful code and software.
If your programs enable your software to compile fast, execute smoothly, and integrate seamlessly without hogging resources, then you can say that your code is clean and effective
Let’s look at the distinguishing features of clean codes
- They should be readable and understandable.
- They are elegant in their look and formatting.
- Clean codes should be simple and easy to modify, reuse, and refactor.
- They should help a reader understand the coder’s ideas & logic.
- Finally, clean codes should make the best use of a language’s features and a machine’s capabilities.
If you are a beginner, then it will take time to write the cleanest possible codes. Even experts take time to write flawlessly clean codes, so it is crucial to strive towards perfection.
As you progress on your way to becoming a professional programmer, you will understand how to streamline and enhance the structure & performance of your programs. Keep in mind that clean programming helps in easy debugging, refactoring, and reusing.
Nevertheless, here are some handy tips for writing clean and efficient codes.
- Always follow language and framework-specific naming conventions. Keep the properties of the language in mind and make the best use of them.
- The more methods a code uses, the clearer it becomes. But make sure to get rid of any redundant techniques and always try to simplify & improve its performance.
- Always maintain a proper file structure that’s in line with your language, framework, and tasks.
- Indentation is an excellent way to make your codes cleaner. And keep the number of comments in your code at a minimum.
3. Be Confident And Self-Reliant
Programming is a vast domain and expanding at an unprecedented rate. Data, computers and IT play a central role in our lives today. One can easily say that software engineering and programming will keep on expanding further.
The enormous number of languages, frameworks, and applications may feel a bit overwhelming for beginners. To become a professional programmer, one must master being focused, patient, and organized while coding.
- Set a goal, focus on it, and work towards it.
- Take responsibility and determine the best approach to achieving your objectives.
- There is no short cut to becoming a professional programmer. You have to take it one step at a time, be patient, and work your way to the top.
- In programming, comprehensive knowledge and expert skills are obtainable through thorough study and hard work.
4. Attention To Details
A good programmer takes care of the little things. The more close attention you pay to the details, the better you will learn and code.
Understanding the interconnectivity between different concepts, libraries, classes, and methods can help you write efficient and clean codes. Making connections between other concepts and ideas, looking into how a program executes, and discovering new knowledge – paying attention to all such details- can hugely strengthen knowledge and skills.
- Make lists of everything that strikes your way.
- Know what you are looking for. If something is troubling you, do exhaustive and meticulous research, no matter how minor it is.
- Read further and read between the lines.
- Experiment with code and find out how different approaches affect execution.
- Pore through a language’s documentation and try to find out its strengths & weaknesses and the benefits it offers.
5. Think Abstractly And Algorithmically
Abstractions and algorithms lie at the core of programming and computer science. To become a professional programmer, you must master the ways of thinking differently but systematically.
- Abstract thinking is what our mind does when it tries to conceive and visualize something. It is the foundation of programming.
- All successful coders must determine and ascertain the processes required to solve a specific problem.
- Understanding and defining the steps involved in the algorithmic way of thinking. Find out the flow of tasks necessary to achieve a particular objective.
6. Always Solve Things Logically And Scientifically
Computer science and programming are all about finding logical solutions to a problem, keeping in mind the constraints and requirements involved. Trial & error, experimentation, and testing are something that every professional programmer needs to perform regularly.
- The scientific methods of research, investigation, deduction, and hypothesis find widespread applications in programming.
- Analysis, program or algorithm design, coding, testing, modification, and re-testing are the core of software engineering.
Well, that brings us to the end of this guide to proper professional programming. Use all the information above to improve your coding skills and get on the path to becoming a successful coder!