If you have been charged with any crime, the chances are that you may be on the verge of being imposed with serious consequences. This means that there is an investigation ongoing since someone made a complaint that could have led to your arrest. Your life and that of your family could be affected in a great way. However, it does matter whether you are guilty of the crime you committed, there are ways your charges may be reduced or even be dismissed. But you have to know the tactics needed for the latter to happen. One way is to have a defense attorney by your side. He/she will first request to be given the evidence used against you. This is what the attorney will use to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of your case. Besides, the attorney will determine any risks that could affect the defense strategies. There is a way you can assist the attorney in helping you navigate your way to lesser charges. You can’t expect the lawyer to help you without your cooperation.
Ways To Help Your Lawyer Protect Your Rights
If you are charged with a crime, you may be feeling hopeless. You may not be having friends to give your emotional support at this time. This is when you need the best criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles. A lawyer needs a client’s assistance to make his/her job more comfortable and hence give you the best results. You and your lawyer should work as a team. You can assist your lawyer by:
- Be honest: Don’t lie to your lawyer. You need to be honest with your attorney if you want the best defense. Being honest ensures that your lawyer will not be surprised by other issues stemming up that could affect your defense. You should answer all questions correctly; remember that the attorney-client relationship protects your conversations. Your lawyer is supposed to fight for you regardless of whether you are guilty or not.
- Be clear on the money you can afford: Hiring lawyer costs money. While you want to get the best defense, you also need to be realistic about what you can afford in terms of legal fees. You should communicate this with your lawyer.
- Provide witnesses: In any court proceedings, witnesses are needed to make your case strong. You should provide your lawyer with the witnesses’ information immediately. The earlier you give this information, the better to ensure the attorney lays the best defense strategies soon enough. Even if the individual may be unwilling to provide information, your lawyer may subpoena them to give testimonies during the trial.
- Gather relevant details: Even if your lawyer is supposed to have all the documentation regarding your case, you should ensure you gather the relevant documents concerning the criminal activity and keep them tidy.
- Be available when needed: Your attorney needs you often. You should take the active role of ensuring you’re in constant communication with your lawyer. But you should make sure not to nag him/her.
- Be patient: Court proceedings take time to work out. There may be adjustments from time to time due to missed details or any other arising issue. You should not push your lawyer to act quickly since this may have negative consequences on your case.
- Follow advice: You should be ready to follow whatever information your attorney gives you. This will help in achieving the best defense.
- Be appropriately groomed in court: Always dress appropriately when attending to court hearings. Grooming should go hand in hand with respect. Ensure you respect the court personnel.
- Don’t talk to the police: You have a right no to speak to the police until you speak with your lawyer first.
- Don’t communicate with the other party directly: Once you decide to hire a lawyer. Let him/her do the talking for you. Meeting with the other party silently may affect your prospects and hence lose your chance of winning the criminal case.
Finding The Right Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you have been charged with a criminal offense, you may find yourself serving life imprisonment. Therefore, you need to have the right lawyer by your side. Never try to represent yourself in court as you try to save money. You must find someone from a reputable firm as this will increase your chances of winning. Finding the right lawyer is a process that needs to be taken seriously. You need to get someone who has experience in dealing with criminal defense cases. Your lawyer should have handled similar cases before. You can read Google testimonials from other clients who have dealt with the lawyer before. Protect your rights by having the right criminal defense lawyer. He/she will prove to the court that the way the evidence against you was presented was against the rules. With this, you may get lesser charges or even have them dismissed.